This popular post was originally published February 4, 2011.
The former first lady of San Francisco, Jennifer Seibel Newsom, has put together what is sure to be a winning documentary at all the progressive festivals. “Miss Representation” is about the supposed never-ending mistreatment of women in the media. Of course, the only women taking part in this documentary are radical leftists with a token conservative, Condoleezza Rice, who is only involved because she came out in a magazine recently parting ideologically from Bush. Here is the “cast” list:
- Caroline Heldman, PhD, Associate Professor Occidental College (Heldman believes women are second-class citizens in this country. )
- Condoleezza Rice, PhD, Former United States Secretary of State (who recently came out in favor of illegal immigration.)
- Dianne Feinstein, United States Senator (who has said it is “morally correct” to force people opposed to abortion to fund it with their tax dollars against their will.)
- Dolores Huerta, Co-Founder of United Farm Workers Union (and board member of the Democratic Socialists of America.)
- Geena Davis, Actor & Founder of Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media (who’s concerned that there aren’t enough female characters on television.)
- Gloria Steinem, Feminist Organizer & Writer ( Steinem is so mentally unbalanced, she thinks bears have abortions.)
- Jackson Katz, PhD, Author & Lecturer (an “anti-sexist” activist, which gets him lots and lots of feminist tail, whose advice to young men who want to avoid becoming wife-beaters is to ideologically join the Left.)
- Jane Fonda, Actor & Activist (Where to start? Hanoi Jane? Let’s just say, Fonda is high on my list for whenever we get real and start prosecuting traitors. I don’t mean to make you sick, but let’s revisit her statements about POWs.)
When the POWs began coming home in 1973 and their accounts of torture began to gain credence, Fonda called the returning soldiers “liars, hypocrites, and pawns.” “Tortured men do not march smartly off planes, salute the flag, and kiss their wives,” she said. “They are liars. I also want to say that these men are not heroes.”
- Jean Kilbourne, EdD, Media Critic, Author & Lecturer (“Feminist” who hates commercials. But really, who doesn’t?)
- Jennifer Pozner, Executive Director of Women in Media and News (Well-known “feminist” on the Left who just adored John Edwards.)
- Katie Couric, Broadcast Journalist (most proud of what gets left on the cutting room floor)
- Lisa Ling, Broadcast Journalist (part of the blame-America for 9/11 crowd)
- M. Gigi Durham, Professor of Media Studies (Author of the Lolita Effect, a confusing, muddled attack on the media for sexualizing girls…but just white, skinny pretty ones, leading her to declare that ugly girls need to get laid too, or something.)
- Margaret Cho, Comedienne, Actor & Activist (vile, hateful, unfunny “comedienne” once joked that when she looks at children she feels nothing and “ovulates sand.” This is not surprising considering her extreme views on abortion.)
God understands if you need to have an abortion. That is why he created abortion, on the 8th day.
- Martha Lauzen, Executive Director of Center for the Study of Women in TV and Film (super-concerned about women being “represented” on the producing staff of shows that exploit women)
- Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House, United States Congress (self explanatory)
- Pat Mitchell, President & CEO of The Paley Center for Media (one of these media do-gooders who believes media should be fostering social change instead of just reporting news.)
- Rachel Maddow, Broadcast Journalist & Host of MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show (rabid pseudo-journalist topped only in venom by Keith Olbermann)
- Rosario Dawson, Actor & Activist (Dawson seems like a nice enough girl who is looking for a cause but not quite sure which one to latch onto yet. I’m sure when she finds it, it will be solidly on the Left.)
It’s pretty clear, right off the bat, they’re really only interested in the perspective of women on the Left. In fact, the few times conservative women are shown in the preview you can sense the “anti-woman” spin the film is placing on them. Michelle Malkin, one of the Left’s favorite punching bags, is shown saying Hillary Clinton looks old and haggard with no context whatsoever. And I particularly like how they worked Sarah Palin and “boobs” into the same sequence.
Next: Watch the absurdly slanted preview of “Miss Representation” —>
Newsom, on her blog laments that women are just so underrepresented in congress.
I’m still in shock over the recent November election. What was supposed to be another ‘year of the woman’ ended in a step backwards for women and for the U.S.
If we are to continue making progress as women and as a democracy, we need to address what has become a crisis of representation.
Once Newsom gets over her “shock,” I have some facts for her. She overlooked some women. Conservative women made historic gains in the election but they flew way under Newsom’s radar because women on the Left simply despise conservative women. We are the unmentionables. But even though it wasn’t what Newsom imagined, it was the year of the conservative woman.
NH Kelly Ayote (R)-replaced Judd Gregg (D)
AL Martha Roby (R)-replaced Bobby Bright (D)
FL Sandy Adams (R)-replaced Suzanne Kosmas (D)
MO Vicky Hartzler (R)-replaced Ike Skelton (D)
NY Nan Hayworth (R)-replaced John Hall (D)
NY Ann Marie Buerkle (R)-replaced Dan Maffei (D)
NC Renee Ellmers (R)-replaced Bob Ethridge (D)
SD Kristy Noem (R)-replaced Stephanie Hersith Sandlin (D)
TN Diane Black (R)-replaced Bart Gordon (D)
WA Jaime Herrera Beutler (R)-replaced Brian Baird (D)
I reject the premise that only a woman can represent me because I’m a woman and therefore we automatically share ideals and values. Debbie Halvorson was my congresswoman. She and I disagreed on every major issue. I voted for Adam Kinzinger, (the white guy) who won, because he supports life, liberty and lower taxes. Halvorson, while possessing boobs, was a boob who voted for health rationing, never saw a spending bill she didn’t like, and was so unpopular little children threw candy at her at a local parade. (Admittedly, they were my children.)
Being female doesn’t automatically make you wise in the same way that a Harvard degree doesn’t automatically make you smart. The classic leftist argument is all about “representation” of race, class, sex…enough already! I’ll vote for anyone of any class, sex, sexual orientation, race or pants size if they will vote to lower my taxes and stop the insanity that is overtaking our country. I only wish to be represented by ideological brain-mates. The rest of it is meaningless flimflam.
Newsom also suggests in the preview of “Miss Representation” that the sexual images on TV are super offensive. I agree. They are. But did you see the use of them in the trailer for “Miss Representation”? Newsom is guilty of using the very images she says she despises to sell her film! Furthermore, it’s very odd for a woman who has been involved in making racy movies to get her panties in a twist over how women are portrayed in the media. Did she not have the choice to turn down a screenplay that involved her having a threesome on film? One might say Newsom is part of the problem. Women will be viewed the way women allow themselves to be viewed! And something no faux-feminist will do (but needs to do) is turn that wagging finger right around. The feminist movement of the 60’s paved the way for the highly sexualized media mess we find ourselves in today. Our daughters are suffering from the ignorance of women who were determined to “liberate” women through orgasms, consequences be damned. What do you think, ladies? Have we climaxed yet?
If Newsom was truly courageous and wanted to make a shocking documentary that truly exposed the mistreatment of women in the media, she should study the way the media treats conservative women. From being called a “mashed-up-bag-of-meat with lipstick on it” to “hate rape” and the girl on girl bile spewed by so-called feminists, the misogyny never stops. And strangely enough, there are no protests, calls for resignation or boycotts of MSNBC advertisers.
Playboy magazine writer Guy Cimbalo released his list of top ten conservative women against whom he’d like to commit violent sexual acts last June. Calling these acts a “hate f—” in his “So Right It’s Wrong” article, Cimbalo explained that he “might despise everything” about women like Michelle Malkin, Fox News’s Megyn Kelly, “The View’s” Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Mary Katherine Ham and Minnesota Representative Michele Bachmann, “but g–dammit, they’re hot!”
Cimbalo listed the physical attributes of each woman along with short explanations of why a self-respecting liberal male shouldn’t be attracted to them. A “hate-f— rating,” presumably to tell others just how good the sex would be, accompanied each listing as well.
Hasselbeck was described as “the clean-cut American sweetheart who elicits our filthiest thoughts.” Cimbalo labeled Bachmann the “lusty congresswoman from the Twin Cities who’s got some great twins of her own.”
As for the rating each woman received, they ranged from “chemical castration would begin to sound more appealing” to “you get this one pregnant, she stays pregnant.”
Not one “feminist” came to the defense of conservative women. In fact, there was more of a pile on.
I also want to note that at least one woman on the list is so venom-spewing, she unfortunately invites venom to be shot back at her: Michelle Malkin. Her posts and her “routine” are so venomous and predictable, in fact, I stopped paying attention to her years ago.
I would be very interested in Newsom’s cinematic take on the above misogyny. Or how about the vast misrepresentation of conservatives in the media? On every entertainment show, if there is a conservative character (of either sex) they are portrayed to be backwoods homophobic hillbillies. On “Law and Order,” if a conservative character pops up on the show, rest assured, they’re the murderer. If that documentary were made, no one would nominate it for an award, no theater would show it and anyone who put it in their Netflix queue would be put on a government watch list. But the number one reason this movie would not get made is because Newsom is married to a former mayor of San Francisco, Gavin Newsom who is reported to be more left-wing than Fidel Castro. Birds of a feather and all that. Extreme lefties only marry other extreme lefties. (It’s a law.) And besides, any attempt to call attention to wrongs against conservatives is punishable by death in California.
Even though it will make me want to rip my eyes out, I am looking forward to “Miss Representation” just for the opportunity to invite all my girlfriends over for an awesome drinking game. Every time a kook political theory is presented or you hear the words sexist, misogynistic, male-privilege, gender, oppression, violence, queer, or hate, you take a shot. Then you get a double if you catch the phrase “women’s health.” There will also be “feminist bingo” and “bobbing for hypocrisy.” All prizes will be extremely insensitive and traditionally gender-specific. I may even give away Barbie dolls. (Gasp!)