1. Challenge them on being “offended.”
After I pointed out a series of inappropriate statements made by another writer on the election thread (see #2), we finally reached the motherlode of Leftist indignation – the opportunity to play the offended victim. In this case, the tiresome but fully predictable whine came from the original writer, who accused ME of insulting her friends. At this point it is often helpful to provide a brief summary of the entire thread… something along these lines:
1. RB makes a crack about scary elections.
2. PB says it’s terrifying and he wants to move to Canada.
3. Diane asks what’s scary.
4. PB calls her a teabagger.
5. Diane suggests that is not an effective argument.
6. PB says Diane can’t know what he was really thinking when he called her a teabagger.
7. Diane says words have meaning, and asks if you going to answer my question.
8. PB says you only care about your own opinion.
9. Diane notes again that she just asked for his opinion.
10. RB says when she said elections were frightening she meant she was scared by low voter turnout.
11. Diane laughs hysterically.
12. AC joins in to offer the news that she and her husband are smarter than all the stupid, ignorant and shallow conservative screamers.
13. Diane sighs and points out that this is also not an argument but simply an ad hominem attack.
14. RB accuses Diane of insulting her friends, who have either implied or outright stated that Diane is a stupid, ignorant, shallow, screaming, teabagger who won’t listen to their side. Although they never stated their side.
Ahhh… Arguing with Leftists. Sometimes it’s like taking candy from a baby. But remember, other people are almost always lurking, reading, and considering. Stay cool (easy to say, difficult to do – I’ve certainly made my share of mistakes on this one) and try to be the bigger person. Those lurking readers will be able to see who’s presenting rational thoughts, and who’s devolving into hysteria. I think it’s telling that in this thread I’ve used as an example, some of the participants went back the next day and deleted all their comments. Apparently even they eventually recognized how foolish they sounded. Score.