SUBSCRIBE:
Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2018/09. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Progressives To Shoot Themselves In The Foot And Help The GOP Win In Midterm Elections

by
Posted on July 24 2010 8:00 pm
Be Sociable, Share!
Print This Post Print This Post

Netroots Nation, a conference of 2,100 leftist activists, opened in Vegas on Thursday. It immediately became clear that progressive Democrats are, to put it mildly, not very pleased with Blue Dog Democrats – a term used to describe moderate Democratic politicians that do not always vote with the Liberal spectrum of their caucus.

Markos Moulitsas, Founder of Daily Kos blog, organized the first such annual Netroots Nation conference five years ago. He kicked off the conference this year by making it by making it absolutely clear that he and his fellow radical leftists are not planning to help Democratic candidates just so their party can preserve its majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Specifically those they consider Blue Dogs, the moderates of their party, are in trouble.

According to the New York Times, Moulitsas said that “if 20 Blue Dogs lost their seats, nobody’s going to care. That’s their problem and I’m not going to cry about them. To me, a more cohesive caucus might be a better deal moving forward than one in which the Blue Dogs need to be appeased.”

The problem with that line of thinking is the majority of the general public do not consider themselves progressives: Pew Research has published their latest findings on political ideology showing that the majority of American voters consider themselves either conservative or moderate. Progressives form a minority, and a pretty small one at that. All in all, only 16 percent describe themselves as “liberal” and 5% say they are “very liberal.” That’s in total a mere 21% of the electorate who agree with Moulitsas’ take on politics. A stunning 79%, meanwhile, don’t want to have anything to do with radical leftists and their views.

By targeting their party’s moderates, who are outnumbered 7-1 to moderates and conservatives, Moulitsas and his fellow progressives are undoubtedly shooting themselves in the foot. After all, elections are coming up later this year for the Senate and the House of Representatives. Especially in the latter Democrats will have a hard time holding on to their majority if moderates are no longer welcome.

An example of the above is the fact that the leftist MoveOn organization spent $2.5 million in support of Arkansas Lt. Gov. Bill Halter (D) when he was running against sitting and moderate Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln (D) in their party’s primary. MoveOn and their ilk went all out, in a desperate attempt to destroy Lincoln. Although she ended up winning her party’s primary, the damage was done: the latest polling by Ipsos shows her trailing her Republican opponent in the gubernatorial elections by 19 percentage points, 54 percent to 35 percent.

How much damage did MoveOn.org and Progressives do to Lincoln with their $2.5 million campaign against her in support of their progressive hero Halter? It’s difficult to say, but that they hurt Lincoln goes without saying.

Now imagine this type of inter-party fighting on a larger scale with Progressive Democrats fighting against moderates Democrats, losing that fight as with Lincoln, and handing sufficient ammunition to GOP candidates to win the general midterm elections. If that’s not shooting yourself in the foot, I don’t know what is.

Be Sociable, Share!
7 Responses leave one →

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Copyright 2018 NewsReal Blog

The Theme Foundry