Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2018/07. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Horowitz Vs Marshall: Why is the “Center-Left” AWOL in the War with Islamofascism?, Page 3

by
Posted on June 9 2010 6:45 am
David Swindle is the Managing Editor of NewsReal Blog and the Associate Editor of FrontPage Magazine. Follow him on Twitter here
Be Sociable, Share!
Print This Post Print This Post

Click here for Page 1

Click here for Page 2

[Continued from page 2 here]

My Islamo-Fascism Awareness campaign was an attempt to name what should be a common enemy for both of us. I received no support however from — let me call it the liberal left — which responded pretty much the way you did. Perhaps this was my fault, but since you actually “covered” my Columbia event (or did you?) and thus were able to see that 1) I didn’t attack all Muslims; 2) I focused on the oppression of women in Islam and 3) my purpose was to give support to students to express the view that jihadists were totalitarians without being called Islamophobes and racists; I was taken aback by the lengths to which you went to ridicule me and yes lend aid and comfort to those who were identifying any critics of Islamic totalitarianism in those terms.

It’s not my purpose to re-visit an old argument or re-open old wounds. So let me first apologize for the note I sent you if I mistook your intentions. And let us instead address the current issue. Yes, the video is horrifying. But the phenomenon — the Muslim Student Association support for Hamas — is not confined to UC, and was present at that Columbia event where during the question and answer period I asked the vice president of the MSA who had suggested that jihad was merely a spiritual struggle to condemn Hamas as a terrorist organization. I did so five times and she evaded the question five times. I believe my critics attacked me at the time for even posing the question — why should the MSA have to jump through my hoops, etc.

Here is my immediate concern about the current incident and why I emailed you. There have been nearly 300,000 YouTube views of the exchange at UC San Diego. But not a single “liberal” website has mentioned it, posted it, commented on it. Is that because they all don’t particularly like me? Or are they uncomfortable with the fact that a member of the Muslim Student Association has genocidal views and would prefer that people didn’t know that — or what?

My second concern is that Israel Apartheid Week, which is a thinly veiled attempt to justify a genocide of the Jews is supported by academic departments and student governments ($40,000 at UC San Diego to spread blatant lies about Jews) and is not being condemned by the liberal constituencies which dominate university communities. I would like to work with you to arouse these communities to take a more realistic view of the Muslim Students Association and its pro-jihadist allies and activities. What say you?

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM, David Horowitz wrote:

Dear Josh,

You haven’t replied to my email or posted the video of the Muslim Students’ Association officer (or former officer) endorsing the extermination of the Jews worldwide, nor have I seen it on any website to the left. How come?

David

From: Josh Marshall

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:09 AM

To: David Horowitz

Subject: Re: Silence of the left on the next Holocaust

David — I haven’t responded yet because I’ve been busy and I will respond.  But I also don’t get goaded into posting things.  As for any website of “the left”, I don’t think I’m involved with any websites “of the left” and I’m certainly not responsible for what other sites do or don’t do.  Josh

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM, David Horowitz  wrote:

I quite understand being over-loaded. I’m not trying to goad you into posting anything. The video has had a good run. I’m interested in the larger issue of why the left or if you prefer “liberals” can’t put aside domestic differences to join conservatives when they oppose the jihadist threat. What happened to Cold War liberalism?

From: Josh Marshall

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:46 PM

To: David Horowitz

Subject: Re: Silence of the left on the next Holocaust

Hi David, it’s hard for me to get my head around the question since the premise makes no sense to me.  The idea that people on the center-left are sitting out the fight against jihadism while conservatives have to fight the battle on their own strikes me as preposterous.  Josh

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM, David Horowitz  wrote:

So kindly send me a link or two to the articles on your website expressing concern for the support for the jihad on our campuses — which is an area I focus on.

From: Josh Marshall

Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:41 AM

To: David Horowitz

Subject: Re: Silence of the left on the next Holocaust

David, I don’t think your lecture series on college campuses is synonymous with the war on terror.  Josh

From: David Horowitz

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:43 AM

To: Josh Marshall

Subject: Re: Silence of the left on the next Holocaust

It’s not a lecture series; it’s an attempt to counter an anti-Israel, anti-America, pro-jihad on campus for which I have been attacked by the center-left, including yourself. Since this attack is not coupled with an effort to counter these malign influences and since you seem to concede that your own center-left publication has not conducted its own campaign against these influences you have undercut your “preposterous” charge. Here’s two more indications of what’s really going on. Glenn Greenwald’s attack on Andrew McCarthy’s new book Grand Jihad, which he has not read but nonetheless labels “McCarthyite” (now which foot is that shoe on?) http://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/14798372704 and Lee Siegel’s nasty attack on Paul Berman in the Observer.

————————-

Marshall has yet to respond to Horowitz.

The answer to the question posed in the headline is simple: the “center-left” regards the patriotic Right (both American and Israeli) as a greater threat than Islamo-fascism. Thus in virtually every intellectual conflict between these two entities, the Left, which smugly identifies itself as “democratic” and even “patriotic,” refuses to join hands with conservatives in raising alarm about the threats to free societies from the Islamic jihad. It cannot stomach the idea of standing alongside evil conservatives like Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney, Benjamin Netanyahu, Horowitz, and Glenn Beck. We see again how with communism’s fall, leftism has devolved into nihilism:  Just as the Palestinians want to destroy Israel more than they want their own state, leftists despise conservatives more than they care about protecting themselves and their families from Islamofascists. Marshall can say whatever he wants about his views on the subject but the number of articles at TPM bashing Israel and conservatives compared to the number highlighting Islamofascism’s brutality tells the real story about what his priorities are.

Thus,  though there may be intellectual differences between the “mainstream,” “respectable” Josh Marshall Center-Left and the radical, neo-communist Noam Chomsky Hard-Left, perhaps the distance between the two is not as great as Marshall imagines, at least not when it comes to presenting a united front against the enemies of this country.

Be Sociable, Share!